Asset Management for Elected Officials
Municipalities own and manage local infrastructure to provide essential services that contribute to our quality of life. Asset management is the coordinated activity of municipal staff and elected officials to provide sustainable levels of service to the community.
For a municipality to be successful in asset management, it is critical that both Council and staff are engaged and understand the benefits of asset management.
AMO is committed to educate elected officials about asset management as they are stewards of public infrastructure and set strategic direction on allocation of financial resources that affect the quality and delivery of services provided to their communities.
Online Course for Elected Officials
Elected officials are invited to take AMO’s free online at-your-own-pace course on asset management that provides fundamental information on role of Council and how asset management can be used as a decision-making tool to identify local priorities. Enroll in this course to will learn more about:
- Key concepts like lifecycle costs, risk and level of service;
- How some infrastructure services can be interdependent;
- How elected officials can support the process of asset management;
- How asset management can assist Council in identifying infrastructure investment priorities, and achieving sustainable service delivery; and the
- Federal and provincial asset management requirements in Ontario
Course Length: 1 to 1.5 hours
Cost: $299 (free for municipalities). Contact us to request a discount code.
Impact of COVID-19 on Infrastructure Investments from an Asset Management Perspective
Asset management provides critical information on the costs, service levels and risks associated with delivering infrastructure services. Learn how municipal councils can use asset management as a decision-making tool during a pandemic to:
- Reassess investment priorities;
- Manage risks that threaten sustainable service delivery; and
- Demonstrate sound stewardship of public resources and value for money
Asset Management Success Stories
Just like the TransCanada Highway connects our province and our country, a municipal asset management plan is a roadmap to your municipality's future sustainability.
Join us on a journey across Ontario and visit 14 different municipalities as we learn more about the value of asset management planning.